Online gaming has become more popular than ever. As a result, the digital world is packed with virtual competitors in a variety of online games that range from FPS to MOBAs. With so many options and gamers flocking to them, it’s no wonder that the demand for high-quality internet connections has skyrocketed hence one wonders, How Bad Is Satellite Internet for Gaming?
Unfortunately, not everyone has access to reliable or fast internet connections. For those who reside in rural areas or have other limitations on their connection, one possible solution is satellite internet service. With plenty of gamers relying on their internet connection to get through an intense raid in Destiny 2 or slay dragons in World of Warcraft, how well does satellite internet work for gamers? Is it worth looking into as an option?
Related article: Will gaming damage Macbook air
What is Satellite Internet?
Satellite internet is internet provided by communication satellites in space. Due to the distance of these satellites, broadband internet is sent using microwaves and lasers. This satellite internet is usually sent to ground stations and then distributed to customers using wired or wireless connections.
The ground stations receive signals from the satellites and retransmit them through a huge antenna at a higher frequency. This allows the internet signal to travel to your home via an internet connection. In larger cities, where there is more demand for higher internet speeds, companies lease space on large communication satellites.
These satellites are much closer to Earth and can provide much faster speeds. However, in rural areas, where there is less demand for internet, companies lease space on Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellites. These satellites are much farther away from Earth and can provide slower speeds.
How Does Satellite Internet Work?
Communication satellites are located in geostationary orbits above the equator. These satellites are stationary and are constantly facing Earth. They are positioned at a height of approximately 35,000 kilometres above the surface of the Earth.
Due to the high altitude of these satellites and their orientation, two satellite dishes are required to receive the internet signal. The first dish is pointed towards the geostationary satellite in space while the second dish is pointed towards a ground station that is serving as an intermediate point between the two satellites. The ground station receives the signal from the space station and then retransmits it.
The dish on Earth receives the intermediate signal and then sends it to the modem in your house. The modem then sends this data to the device you want to connect to the internet.
Pros of Using Satellite Internet for Gaming
· Satellite internet connections are available in rural areas. For customers who reside in areas with no fibre internet or DSL availability, satellite internet may be the only option for high-speed internet.
· Some satellite internet providers offer unlimited data plans, making them a great option for gamers who stream as well as play online games.
· Satellite internet providers such as Viasat have created new satellite technology that provides high-speed internet to more customers. These high-speed plans are now available to more than 200 million Americans via the Exede satellite.
· Satellite internet is more affordable than fibre internet. Although it is slower and has more latency, the pricing is usually lower than fibre connections.
· Using a WiFi router with satellite internet connections can help to decrease the latency.
· A satellite internet connection is more reliable than a DSL connection.
· Some satellite internet providers offer international plans.
Cons of Using Satellite Internet for Gaming
· Satellite internet is slower than other internet connections. The download and upload speeds are approximately 10 times slower than DSL connections. This means that gamers who are used to blazing-fast speeds may experience some delays.
· Satellite internet connections have higher latency. The average latency for satellite internet is approximately 500 milliseconds. This means that a gamer’s movement in a virtual environment could be delayed by a few seconds.
· The distance between the house and the satellite can affect the quality of the connection. The closer a gamer is to the satellite, the better the connection quality will be.
· A sudden weather change can affect the quality of the connection. Rain and snow can cause interference with the satellite signal.
· A poor connection can be frustrating for gamers who are used to high-quality experiences.
· A satellite internet connection is not ideal for online gamers who play competitively. Since there is more lag and a higher risk of disconnection, satellite internet is not the best choice for competitive gaming.
Is Satellite Internet Good for Gaming?
Satellite internet is not ideal for online gaming. It is slower, has higher latency, and does not have the high data capacity that fibre internet does. However, for some rural gamers, it is the only option for high-speed internet.
For gamers who are looking for a reliable connection with low latency, a satellite connection can be a good choice. Because the satellite connection is not as susceptible to weather, gamers who play online games year round should be able to enjoy better connection quality. For gamers who are looking to play competitively, satellite internet is not the best option.
Because there is more latency, there is a higher chance of being defeated before the game ends. If you are a gamer who is looking for a low-cost and reliable connection, a satellite internet connection may be a good fit. If you are a gamer who loves to play online games, a satellite internet connection may be a good fit. If you are a gamer who enjoys playing competitive online games, a satellite internet connection may not be the best option.
Which are the good and bad games to play via satellite internet
The best games to play via satellite internet are those that don’t require a fast connection speed. For example, you can play games such as Minecraft, single-player RPGs like Persona 5, and puzzle games like Tetris. You should avoid playing multiplayer games with high data requirements on a satellite connection.
As for which games to avoid, MOBAs, such as League of Legends, and first-person shooters, such as Call of Duty, are games that are best left for fibre connections. You should also avoid playing games with integral online components, such as Destiny 2 and Fortnite.
What is Satellite Internet?
Satellite Internet is a broadband internet service delivered by an earth-orbiting satellite. It’s primarily used for rural areas where other forms of wired or wireless internet are not available.
What are some disadvantages of using satellite internet?
One disadvantage is the speed. Satellite has slower speeds than traditional broadband, and it can be subject to outages due to weather events, like heavy rain or snow. Another disadvantage is reliability. In comparison with wired connections, satellite connections are less reliable because they’re more susceptible to interference from trees, buildings, and other obstructions between the dish and the satellites. This means it can take a long time for packets of data to transmit from point A (the dish) to point B (your computer).
What’s one other major downside of using satellite internet?
The latency is higher than many other types of connections because of the amount of time it takes for your data packets to reach space and back down again. It can take up to 2 seconds for information you request to appear on your screen! That’s a lot longer than with a traditional broadband connection that would only take milliseconds.
Satellite internet may not be the best option for gamers, but there are plenty of people who rely on it every day. If internet speeds are important to you, then a satellite connection should be avoided. For those who reside in rural areas and have no other option, the slower speeds may be a small price to pay for reliable internet.
We hope that our Satellite Internet for Gaming guide has answered all of your questions and helped you make the best decision for your internet needs. Now that you’ve reached the end of our guide, you have a better understanding of what satellite internet is and how it works. While there are benefits to using it, it’s important to keep in mind that it is slower than other internet connections.
In the quest to enjoy online gaming, you may want to look into other internet connections. Satellite internet is available nearly everywhere, which makes it a great choice for people who don’t have access to other types of internet. Unfortunately, it’s not well-suited for online gaming because of its high latency and low upload speeds.
If you have no other choice, though, it’s still possible to game with satellite internet. You just have to be extra careful about your connection so you don’t lose in the middle of a raid or multiplayer match. If you want the best possible internet connection, it’s best not to settle for satellite internet.
But if you have no other option, there are a few things you can do to make your connection work for gaming. You may also want to consider hiring someone to install a ground-based internet connection in your home or business.